Jump to Key Sections
A VPN is a computer network designed to link several computers together. To this end, it creates a secure connection that preserves the anonymity of users. Under Windows 10, it is possible to install a VPN and configure its settings. Installing a VPN provides several major benefits. Let’s zoom in on the process of installing and configuring a VPN on Windows 10.
Install a VPN in a few clicks using a VPN service application
It is possible to manually set up a VPN on Windows 10 as I will show you below. That said, the easiest solution for computer beginners is to subscribe to a free or paid VPN service that will provide you with a Windows 10 application that will save you from having to configure your VPN connection. To use a VPN offered by a VPN provider, you need to follow these steps:
- sign up on a VPN service’s website to get an account;
- download the software for Windows 10. Example with the VPN provider Surfshark: Surfshark.com/download/windows
- launch the application by entering your credentials provided by your provider to connect to your VPN and enjoy your secure connection
READ ALSO How to enable/disable automatic defragmentation of a hard drive in Windows 10?
You just have to select in which country you want to connect to the VPN or let the application choose it automatically for you.
How to configure a VPN manually on Windows 10?
As said before, it is also possible to manually configure a VPN on Windows 10. This process is done in two steps. The first step is to create a VPN profile and the second step is to connect to the VPN network.
Creating a VPN profile in Windows 10
The creation of a VPN profile is essential if you do not have one on your computer. It is done in several steps and depends on the type of profile you want to create.
Create a VPN profile through your company
When the profile meets a professional need, you must go to the VPN settings located on your organization’s intranet site to retrieve the various connection information. If needed, you can contact the IT section of the company.
Create a VPN profile for personal use
For personal use, you will need to use a VPN server. Here are the different steps to follow to configure your VPN on Windows 10, assuming you have already retrieved the connection information to the VPN server (free or paid service)
- Right-click on the Windows 10 Start menu (at the bottom of your screen) and select Settings;
- Select the Network and Internet option then the VPN tab in the left menu;
- Click on Add a VPN connection, a VPN settings window will appear;
- Select Windows (Integrated) in the VPN Providersection;
- Choose an easily identifiable name for the Connection Name;
- Enter the address of your VPN server in the Server Name or Address field.
- Enter your VPN credentials if needed;
- Validate the information by clicking on the Save button.
Connecting to the VPN network
After creating your VPN profile, you will have a highly secure connection. To access the VPN network in Windows 10, follow these steps:
- start your computer and go to your Windows desktop;
- go to the bottom right corner of the taskbar;
- click on the Network icon and then choose a VPN to connect to. You can also connect to it through the Windows 10 Notification Center (the bubble-like thing on the far right of the taskbar).
READ ALSO How to optimize an SSD with the TRIM command in Windows 10?
At this stage, there are two possibilities. In the first case, the Connect button is displayed. When the VPN offers you this option, click on the button and wait until the connection is established.
In the second case, the VPN displays the settings. You have to choose the VPN connection and then click on the connect button. It is possible that the system requires your login credentials. In this case, provide all the necessary information.
Why use a VPN?
VPN stands for Virtual Private Network. It is a private and virtual network. A connection to a VPN has several advantages:
- Browsing is secure. The VPN is impervious to external users, so the use of this system prevents the leakage of your data.
- The VPN network ensures the anonymity of users. By consulting pages on the Internet, you leave a digital fingerprint that can be traced back to you. A VPN hides my IP through an internet relay: it is the VPN’s IP address that is shown and not yours.
- The VPN private browsing system allows to bypass geographical limitations. Thanks to the VPN relay antennas, you can easily change the geolocation of your IP address. As a result, you can access services that are limited to a geographical area.
- VPN improves privacy. The encrypted data in the system prevents your browsing history from being traced.
- VPN is ideal for accessing free streaming sites such as those that allow you to watch movies or the Champions League live.
READ ALSO How to enable the hidden administrator account in Windows 10?
So, convinced? If you don’t want to use a VPN, you should know that another good way to secure your connection and avoid leaving traces on the web is to use the Tor browser which also allows you to hide your IP address.